Monday, March 17, 2008

Great week ahead ok!

Hey hey... Last night I had a good lesson (self taught) on vector calculus, on the topic of flux and circulation. Tonight I'm gonna touch on Green's thoerem. Heehee... Sounds fun...

Ok what I've learnt:

As a mathematical concept, flux is represented by the surface integral of a vector field,

The surface has to be orientable, i.e. two sides can be distinguished: the surface does not fold back onto itself. Also, the surface has to be actually oriented, i.e. we use a convention as to flowing which way is counted positive; flowing backward is then counted negative.
The surface normal is directed accordingly, usually by the right-hand rule.
Conversely, one can consider the flux the more fundamental quantity and call the vector field the flux density.
Often a vector field is drawn by curves (field lines) following the "flow"; the magnitude of the vector field is then the line density, and the flux through a surface is the number of lines. Lines originate from areas of positive divergence (sources) and end at areas of negative divergence (sinks).
See also the image at right: the number of red arrows passing through a unit area is the flux density, the curve encircling the red arrows denotes the boundary of the surface, and the orientation of the arrows with respect to the surface denotes the sign of the inner product of the vector field with the surface normals.
If the surface encloses a 3D region, usually the surface is oriented such that the outflux is counted positive; the opposite is the influx.
The divergence theorem states that the net outflux through a closed surface, in other words the net outflux from a 3D region, is found by adding the local net outflow from each point in the region (which is expressed by the divergence).
If the surface is not closed, it has an oriented curve as boundary. Stokes' theorem states that the flux of the curl of a vector field is the line integral of the vector field over this boundary. This path integral is also called circulation, especially in fluid dynamics. Thus the curl is the circulation density.

--------------------------------------------------------

Why must I punish myself with so much knowledge? Hey That's not punishment. I regard it as a form of relaxation. I love knowing more. now I must make it a habit to revise every week. On top of that, my weekly tuition is a good revision of my A Levels syllabus. Yeah!

Ok man. Today not much of work because I started my lab work pretty early. Now, pipetting is my mastery! haha. Easy la.. Stability is the key!

ok ok.. Going back to lab to incubate my ELISA plate!

No comments: