Friday, March 28, 2008

TO: Marcus Foo Guo Wen

This entire entry is dedicated to my best friend, Marcus.

When I was Sec 1, still fresh in Maris Stella high, friends were the prime of my life. Life then was carefree- there was no contentious spirit, no jealousy and no desperation to get a girlfriend (boys sch what!). We live on each other, have fun together and also work hard together. Few friends become very close to me. Marcus is one of them. Together, we joined the band and in studies, we excel together. Although we played different instruments, we were in fact quite close together and we always spend our breaks during combine sectional drinking coke or discussing about life.
Then later on, I became a student councillor but Marcus was still very friendly towards me and treat me as "the usual Darren". I still remember the day when we took photo together, our very first photo. Sec 1 and 2 went past very fast. During sec 3, our friendship went through a period of trial and it made our relationship stronger. We manage to entire Sec3B, a triple science class. There, we continued our intellectual discussions, religious talks and we did many fun things. The most memorable ones would be WWE-Wrestling in class, which i am sure Marcus is most proud of, and the inauguration of the Cucumber football club.
However, during the mid term of sec 3, we had a very bad quarrel, because I broke Marcus promise to skip a band practice. This sort of betrayed his trust. I was quite remorseful at that time because Marcus is my best friend and has always been one to me. Thank God we forgave each other and let the matter rest; we went of with life and strife for more progress. End of sec 3 saw the dream of two of us progressing into biological research work. We were having a course on Biology organised by AMBDON. We then shared the dream of opening up a Bio company in the future! Haha...
Then Sec4, our relationship became even more solid! Due to the approach of O' Levels, we began to organise a weekly clandestine meeting, which we call the alliance, to combine our wits together to study and tackle tough questions.
Yes, the end of Maris Stella marks the physical separation between us, but not the mental and spiritual. Still, we kept in contact with each other and this continued through the army period.

However, the frequency of meeting up became lesser and lesser till we even have different interests. To me, I was caught up with exercise and there goes my social circle.

Before I flew of for my studies, I find myself in a very difficult position. My Marist friends were always there for me but yet, I felt that there was a barrier between us. I could not connect with them. They talked about girls, soccer and clubbing. Me? I only have exercise and studies in mind. The ultimate showdown came when I joined them for a sentosa outing before I flew off. Instead of participating with them in the games, I went off for my own physical training.... How crazy was I! ... At the end of the games when it was rest time and when I came back from my run, Marcus came to me and ask me to a corner. Then he started to probe into my life, asking me about my behaviour. He was afraid that the friendship between the Marist gang and me became too diluted. Instead of talking normally, the crazy me was still doing push ups while talking to Marcus. I have no idea how rude was I. I was totally consumed by the condition.

Marcus afirmed that memories are memories but friendship is not history yet. Although we may not be very well linked with each other now, our hearts are still connected.

I was blind. Exercise made me more than myopic. I could not resist the evil one.. even on the day of my birthday where my friends attended my birthday party. I was ridden with eating disorder.

I must have broken Marcus heart. I must have failed as a friend. In Cornell, Marcus even gave me a long distance call to show his concern. I was really into depression at that time, suicidal and anti-social. I told him I was busy and I quickly ended our conversation. Great. What a friend am I!

Despite all this, Marcus was not let down. As soon as he heard news that I was back in Singapore. We asked me out.
When I was in SGH, he came to visit me. He took the initiative to ask me out for supper. I can see that he understands me very well. Marcus is still my best friend!

This is what I call all-weather/true friendship!

During new year, I went to his house one night and we had a solid two hours chat. He noticed the change in me. It was like a revival of the OLD DARREN; It waas like the baptism of Fire. I was particularly touched by his action, though subtle. His Dad was like asking me to eat but Marcus, nowing that I had Bulimia, told his Dad that I already had my dinner to avoid me from my frenzy eating. Thanks Marcus. I notice that your love as a friend never simmer. I will always cherish someone like you.

God Bless you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Thanks for this wonderful friendship!

No comments: